A Level English
Do you want to :
- Understand the meaning of life?
- Read an exciting range of novels and poetry?
- Pursue a career in writing, law, the arts or journalism?
If yes, then AS/A2 English is for you!
Through engagement with classic and modern texts you will arrive at an understanding of human behaviour and develop your creative writing and communication skills. Visits to the theatre and poetry readings will introduce students to a new literary world and bring the subject alive!
English Literature is recognized by all universities as an excellent grounding for most academic disciplines.
- Study a variety of texts in a vibrant and creative atmosphere
- Give creative and informed responses to texts
- Demonstrate detailed critical understanding
- Explore connections between texts
- Demonstrate understanding of the significance and influence of context
Course Units - 2 at AS / 2 at A2
- AS 1: The study of Poetry 1900 - Present - Exam (40% of AS, 15% of A Level)
- AS 2: The study of Pre 1900 Prose - Exam (60% of AS, 25% of A Level.
- A2 1: The study of Poetry: Contexts and Comparisons - Exam (40% of A Level)
- A2 2: 21st Century Novel. Internal Assessment (2500 word essay)
(20% of A Level)
Applied A Level Business Studies Entry Requirements
This qualification requires pupils to have:
7 GCSEs A*-C - Including a B grade in English Literature and Language at a minimum of Grade B.
Really enthusiastic teaching gives you a passion for, and understanding of literature
We drink them up like water, and are bettered, yet we know not how
This course could lead to higher education and careers in:
- Any field where communication skills are highly valued
- Media (Print / Web / Film / Theatre)
- Public Relations…
- ...and of course the opportunity to become an award winning poet or novelist such as Eoin McNamee one of our eminent past pupils.